Monday, August 9, 2010

I Want To Go Back


You know, I have travelled a bit in my life - England, Wales, Rome, Florence, even India. But this is the first time I have ever felt such a strong pull to return somewhere - to Israel. Granted I wouldn't mind re-visiting any of these places, but there is something different about the Holy Land.


Yes, we visited a lot of places in just one week. But it's not about wanting to see places I didn't get to; nor is it about merely re-visiting the same site. This trip was a spiritual, emotional, physically-demanding, social adventure. And, in a lot of ways, I feel like I have only just scratched the surface of the experience. It's like an onion and I have only just peeled off the first layer. Often, when we visit a place for the first time, we are overwhelmed by the sheer immensity of the experience - the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, St. Peter's Square. That certainly happened for me, especially at the Wailing Wall and the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. But when I returned, there experience became much more individual, more personal. I was able to focus on the people and the emotions going through my head and the experience became a much deeper one.


The pull to return to Israel is almost palpable; I am not sure if it's "want" or "need" or a little of both. But I've been waking up lately just literally missing the place, longing to touch the Wailing Wall again, to walk through the market and, yes, sample a few more rugellachs, hee hee.


1 comment:

  1. Its nice to hear that you have traveled the most of the world famous countries and cities like England, Wales, Rome, Florence.
    As you have mentioned in the blog's post that it is spiritual, emotional and physical-demanding; its sheers depend on the personality. For cheap flights and holidays package you can get help from the southalltravel which has massive experience in the travel industry.

    ReplyDelete